IMCDb Forum
Cars & Movies » Here is the elusive Black truck…
Category:  
Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
Here is the elusive Black truck…
Published 13/11/2006 @ 02:48:23, By Neptune
I finally had the chance to talk to my dad about the truck used in the Stephen King movie.
He told me it’s a 1977 White Western Star 4864, and that there were two of them used
in the movie’s standard film shots (The ones that were not driven hard or destroyed). He also said that it was thought that the truck portrayed in the movie was Brand-New, but that information is incorrect. The truck in the movie has round quad-headlamps, Western Star had redesigned the headlamps by the year 1986 and gave the trucks square housings instead of round housings.

I included some pictures to help explain what I was talking about…

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/2427/wwsfj5.th.jpg

The Yellow and Black truck is a 1974 White Western Star 4864 S.
Note: at this time White and Western Star were the same company.
The grille featured on this truck has White stamped across the hood. The large round fenders incorporate the headlamps; also note this truck is equipped with single headlamps unlike the truck in the movie that is equipped with quad-headlamps. Also note how the housing for the headlamps are round, because this is very important.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/7261/wws2ay2.th.jpg

The Red truck is 1986 Western Star 4864 day-cab.
It was always thought that the truck in the movie was a New truck, but that’s not
accurate. Look closely at how the headlamp housing is now square for the 1986 models.

I hope this helps, and I expect a big thank you Neptune, because I really didn’t want to bother my dad about such information. (He thought it was stupid that I wanted to know the exact make a model of a truck that he hasn’t seen in years.)

:wink:
Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
Published 13/11/2006 @ 03:55:25, By firebird86
Thank you very much, Neptune, Your efforts are much appreciated.

Latest Edition: 13/11/2006 @ 03:56:29
Published 13/11/2006 @ 10:07:04, By antp
Yes, thanks for the info. So I guess that we can finally rename the truck with this name.
I'll add that later, as I have to unlock comments on the page to add link to here.
Published 13/11/2006 @ 16:36:22, By Neptune
That’s Ok, take your time… I’m just glad I could help. I thought the truck was
a Kenworth myself, but my Dad promptly told me I was wrong. I told him why I needed
the info about the truck, and he laughed. (The internet does not interest him that much).
However he also said that “because the truck had that Green face on it, covering the grille, that makes it hard to tell what it is, so you have to focus on the Cab, headlamps and finders instead” The large round finders with the round clustered headlamps were a White Western Star trademark back in the 70s’.

Published 13/11/2006 @ 18:02:31, By antp
But this headlamp thing does not match what Alexander suggested: truck bought from army (or something like that) with added old headlights, explaining also why the trailer does not match with the exhausts on the rear of the cab.
Published 13/11/2006 @ 18:12:42, By Neptune
Well I’m not sure what truck Alexander is talking about, but you have to look
at the picture of the Yellow and Black truck I gave. You have to look close (I mean really close) at the top of the fenders. There is a “Back bone” line that goes from the middle of fender (It starts at the headlamps) and flows toward the back of the fender. The truck in the movie has the exact same attribute.

I also wanted to add, that if I ever get some free time, I’ll drive down toward the
Castle Hayne end of Wilmington, North Carolina (Where I live) and visit the old
Wilmington film studio building. That is where the Black 1977 White-Western Star
truck is being kept in storage. I’ll see if I can get some pictures of it and post them here
on IMCDb.

Oh and I added the name of the draw-bridge used in movie, I noticed some people had asked questions about it. The name of the bridge and some interesting facts about it are listed under the comments for the trash truck that’s traveling over the bridge… useless information I know, but I thought everyone here might like to know what its’ name was. I think its so cool this movie was filmed right where I live.

Latest Edition: 13/11/2006 @ 18:41:17
Published 13/11/2006 @ 19:00:20, By ahight
how about this for useless...the drawbridge is the same one used in Cat's Eye when he get's caught smoking in his 320i :grin:
Published 13/11/2006 @ 21:41:29, By Neptune
how about this for useless...the drawbridge is the same one used in Cat's Eye when he get's caught smoking in his 320i :grin:

That’s not useless information for us Ahight, because you and I live in the same area, but others who don’t live where we live, probably wouldn’t care to know such information.

:grin:
Published 25/11/2006 @ 20:16:26, By knghtmat
Except in Cat's Eye it was the other side of the bridge.
Published 15/01/2007 @ 02:06:55, By dwayne
Look at the horn in the center of the wheel..

http://imageigloo.com/thumbs/733073752959.jpg

Latest Edition: 15/01/2007 @ 02:57:19
Published 15/01/2007 @ 02:10:30, By dwayne
Published 15/01/2007 @ 02:38:48, By pat
:2501: maybe its just a white steering wheel
Published 15/01/2007 @ 02:41:49, By dwayne
:2501: maybe its just a white steering wheel

Maybe its a WesternAutoWhiteStarCar
Published 15/01/2007 @ 03:05:28, By dwayne
Add Reply - Category:  
Sign In :: Sign Up :: Lost your login or your password?
KelCommunity.be :: © 2004-2024 Akretio SPRL :: Powered by Kelare