IMCDb Forum
Cars & Movies » Volkswagen camper van mystery
Category:  
Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
Volkswagen camper van mystery
Published 29/07/2006 @ 13:58:17, By Gag Halfrunt
This morning I saw driving along the road a Volkswagen Typ 2/T2 camper van with an 04 registration number (which means first registered between March and August 2004). It was right-hand drive and the engine sounded like an original air-cooled Volkswagen unit. I know that the Typ 2 is still made in Brazil, but, given that they're no doubt extremely out of date as far as European regulation are concerned, how would someone manage to register a new one in Britain in 2004? Are there any loopholes in the regulations? (I imagine that converting the steering is relatively simple for a rear-engined vehicle.)
Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
Published 30/07/2006 @ 04:22:59, By qwerty_86
Maybe it's an older vehicle with a new plate? I know in some US states they require you to get a new license plate once your old one is illegible.

Or it could be registered as a show car that isn't meant to be driven. I know thats how some people get around laws on importing Japanese spec cars into the US and Canada.
Published 30/07/2006 @ 18:03:55, By Gag Halfrunt
In Britain the year indicated by the plate cannot be more recent than the vehicle's true age -- this is to prevent people using personalised (vanity) plates to make a car appear younger than it really is.
Published 30/07/2006 @ 18:10:45, By antp
If you import an old vehicle from another country, does it get a plate corresponding to its real age?

Latest Edition: 30/07/2006 @ 18:10:54
Published 30/07/2006 @ 18:14:23, By Gag Halfrunt
If you import an old vehicle from another country, does it get a plate corresponding to its real age?

Yes, and there's a special prefix (formerly Q, but I'm don't know about the current registration system) for cars whose age cannot be determined and kit cars with parts from multiple donor vehicles.
Published 20/08/2006 @ 04:43:44, By salvation
A quick google search led me to this company http://www.beetles-uk.com/camper.html
Published 20/08/2006 @ 12:24:48, By Gag Halfrunt
A quick google search led me to this company http://www.beetles-uk.com/camper.html

Thanks.
Published 23/08/2006 @ 17:06:36, By Ddey65
Not the kinds of Bay-Window Type 2's I'm used to seeing. When was that black plastic grille added?

Published 24/08/2006 @ 00:25:25, By Donington
How cool! I'm really considering buying one of those
Published 24/08/2006 @ 05:52:44, By salvation
Not the kinds of Bay-Window Type 2's I'm used to seeing. When was that black plastic grille added?

Quote From: Wikipeda
The T2c, so called since it got a slightly raised roof — by about 10 cm — in the early 1990s, was built for the South American and Central American markets. The T2c was produced in Mexico until 1991* with the 1.6 L air-cooled Type 1 engine, and from 1991 until 1996 with water-cooled engines from the VW Golf (a VW/Audi 1.4L). Since 1997, the T2c has been built in Brazil with air-cooled engines for the Brazilian market and with water-cooled engines for the Mexican market, the latter easily identified by their large, black-coloured, front-mounted radiators.

Since production of the original Beetle was halted in late 2003, the T2 remained the only Volkswagen model with the traditional air-cooled, rear-mounted boxer engine when the Brazilian model shifted to water-cooled on December 23, 2005. Previously, the watercooled T2c was sold in Mexico between 1991-2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Type_2
Add Reply - Category:  
Sign In :: Sign Up :: Lost your login or your password?
KelCommunity.be :: © 2004-2024 Akretio SPRL :: Powered by Kelare