IMCDb Forum
General » New feature : Location of vehicle on picture
Category:  
Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
New feature : Location of vehicle on picture
Published 28/06/2009 @ 17:50:25, By antp
This afternoon I had few free time so I added a new feature:
You can now point on the picture where the car is, which will make a frame appear. Example:
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=235976
This can be done on the vehicle edit page: there is a new field "Car location", which has to contain the coordinates of the centre of the frame. You can get these coordinates easily by clicking on the link "Select on picture": picture of the vehicle is shown and if you click on a position on it, its coordinates are stored in the field.

When the mouse cursor is over the picture, the frame is hidden. It allows to see the picture without the frame, I guess it is better?

For the moment it is used only on vehicle page, but in a near future I will also use that for generating thumbnails.
To take again the example of the car linked above, it is not very visible on the thumbnail :
http://www.imcdb.org/thumbnail.php?pic=235-976.jpg
but using the info "where is the car", the site could generate a thumbnail where more of the top of the picture is cut, and keeping the full lower part of the picture, as the car is located in it.

Note that this is NOT a reason for posting more background vehicles :tongue:
It is just to avoid arrows or circles on the pictures, or "useless" comments.
Also do not use it when it is very obvious which vehicle is concerned, e.g. if the image is for the most visible vehicle.

Latest Edition: 28/06/2009 @ 17:57:01
Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
Published 28/06/2009 @ 20:15:54, By Toenz
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=236093
It works! :alarmclock133:
Great new feature and a good idea with that mouseover-effect. Excellent job!
Published 28/06/2009 @ 21:33:32, By atom
Yes, very nice!

The new "Go back to edit page" link doesn't work, you get to the 404 page.
Published 28/06/2009 @ 21:44:02, By CarChasesFanatic
When the mouse cursor is over the picture, the frame is hidden. It allows to see the picture without the frame, I guess it is better?

Very good question and if i can give you my opinion i think it's better the other way round, just like it works on Flickr which i always thought it was very "comfortable", if you don't go over the picture with the mouse you see it normally, you wanna watch the located car? you go with the mouse over it, i'd swap it like that :smile:
Published 29/06/2009 @ 00:29:06, By Animatronixx
Great feature! Thanks, Antoine! :icon_bounce01:

BTW.: I'd also prefer the Flickr style, probably just because I'm used to it.
Published 29/06/2009 @ 09:55:32, By antp

The new "Go back to edit page" link doesn't work, you get to the 404 page.

Indeed, I saw it but forgot to fix it :grin: thanks

if you don't go over the picture with the mouse you see it normally, you wanna watch the located car? you go with the mouse over it, i'd swap it like that :smile:

Indeed, but the problem is that then people who do not know that the feature exist will not get it...

Latest Edition: 29/06/2009 @ 09:56:33
Published 29/06/2009 @ 14:34:56, By CarChasesFanatic
You think? well it's not that difficult to guess, nobody told me it worked like that on Flickr and i got it, well as you prefere but i definetly think it'd be better the other way round.
Published 29/06/2009 @ 14:58:41, By antp
I can easily do the change to test - just two lines to swap in the code.
Better now? :grin:
Published 29/06/2009 @ 15:02:44, By dragonboy3000
Having seen both ways i definitely like it better where the box appears when you scroll over and not already there then disappears.
And im sure many people will scroll over the pics at times and be surprised when they see the box pop up to show which car its referring to.
I'd definitely find it useful when there's many cars in a scene and trying to spot which one it is if i dont recognize it.
Published 29/06/2009 @ 15:12:28, By CarChasesFanatic
I can easily do the change to test - just two lines to swap in the code.
Better now? :grin:

Superb, yes :smile: is there an error with the system by the way? to start of with i cannot manually create the square and even if i click inside of the picture the square will go out of it if you know what i mean.
Published 29/06/2009 @ 18:09:49, By antp
You mean define yourself the square size? Currently no, I left that for later. Currently it is a x-y location, and the frame put around it is a fixed size.
Published 29/06/2009 @ 21:48:23, By weasel1984
It is really a very good add-on, now when the frame is not visible for the entire time is perfect.
Published 29/06/2009 @ 22:38:38, By G-MANN
Good idea, but it doesn't seem to be working properly right now, when I use it there is a big gap between the vehicle name and the picture, and the square doesn't appear where I want it to.

Latest Edition: 29/06/2009 @ 22:38:55
Published 29/06/2009 @ 22:46:51, By CarChasesFanatic
Yes that's the same problem i have, Antoine needs to solve it out, whenever he has time.
Published 29/06/2009 @ 23:58:56, By atom
Do you use IE or Firefox (or something else)?

I have Firefox at home and it works just fine but at work we have IE and there I have that problem that you describe.

Latest Edition: 29/06/2009 @ 23:59:37
Published 30/06/2009 @ 04:52:45, By Ddey65
I hate to say this, Antoine, but I found no such devices... at least the kinds that we can make ourselves. Over here;
http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=136376
I wanted to focus on the 1967 Chevrolet on the left, and couldn't do a thing with it. I ended up on Image Shack and getting redirected to a couple of pages that I suspect are infected.
Published 30/06/2009 @ 07:30:30, By marioman3138
Great Idea! Very useful. Is it possible to give me rights, just to do this? I don't mid trawling pages to add the squares. If it is to hard just to add that, I will just comment on each page ( that needs it)\

I say again Good Work!
Published 30/06/2009 @ 09:44:12, By antp
Good idea, but it doesn't seem to be working properly right now, when I use it there is a big gap between the vehicle name and the picture, and the square doesn't appear where I want it to.

Yes that's the same problem i have, Antoine needs to solve it out, whenever he has time.

I thought that this problem only occured with the old IE 6, but it seems that IE 7 has the same problem (as Ccf said he used that).
I could only test in Firefox & IE 8, I'll have to find a way to make that working in IE 7 then...
Published 30/06/2009 @ 09:46:02, By antp

I wanted to focus on the 1967 Chevrolet on the left, and couldn't do a thing with it.

I do not really see what you mean :figti:
The thing that I mention here on the topic is something for imcdb admins to make a frame appear on imcdb picture, nothing to do with imageshack
Published 30/06/2009 @ 14:21:51, By Ddey65
Oh, so administrators can perform this task, and others can't. OK.
Add Reply - Category:  
Sign In :: Sign Up :: Lost your login or your password?
KelCommunity.be :: © 2004-2024 Akretio SPRL :: Powered by Kelare