IMCDb Forum
Delete a Message
Reason of removal (sent to the user)

Do you really want to delete this message?  

dsl
I think there is a danger that the Renault R codes are too specific for what we need or can use - for instance most R12 estates in early 70s (ie before Oct 75 facelift) will be indistinguishable for us between R1170 and R1330. I'm not a Renault expert- my ceiling is recognising and looking up details of models sold in UK because that's where my data comes from. I'll probably never be able to separate the the various R codes assigned to different R12 "Export" models in the Système numérique table etc and doubt if any of us would really be able to use all those codes consistently. We may have continual problems applying those codes within ranges of eg 4, 8, 15, 16, 17 etc where different versions are visually (almost) identical. So whatever system we choose to follow - X, R or whatever else - has to be workable and applied sensibly and realistically.

We use - as a comparable example - the E code system on 50-70s UK Fords within our limitations, applying the ones we can get to work, but avoiding the others. So for instance Anglia 105E/106E/123E/124E is fine, but most Cortinas and Corsairs are code free because we can't apply them properly between visually identical versions.

One good code system from our point of view is the BMC ADO series here - http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/concepts/concepts-and-prototypes/development-codes/ - it's complicated, intricate and long-winded BUT almost everything can be directly matched without a problem. And there's a few of us who can do it equally well - its use does not rely on a single expert shouldering the responsibility.

Codes should be our tools, not our masters, and we should be able to choose the best tools for our purposes. Which includes the needs of Joe Bloggs in 5 years time as a future admin with no Renault or Ford expertise who just wants to be told what system to apply and how. So detailed lists are valuable for reference and to help us make the best choices, but can overload our capabilities unless we are brave enough to select when not to follow their every subtlety. Look at the continual messes we have with Mercedes W codes - 95% of the time successfully applied, but the other 5% ..........
Sign In :: Sign Up :: Lost your login or your password?
KelCommunity.be :: © 2004-2024 Akretio SPRL :: Powered by Kelare