IMCDb Forum
Cars & Movies » AJC - Beloved vintage cars in 'Gangster Squad'
Category:  
Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
AJC - Beloved vintage cars in 'Gangster Squad'
Published 15/01/2013 @ 02:04:34, By rjluna2
Here is an article that I found in today's newspaper. I have researched these vehicles in IMCDb and none of them appeared. We don't even have Gangster Squad page yet :ohwell:

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Monday, January 14th, 2013, Living Section, Page D5

Beloved vintage cars in 'Gangster Squad'

By Sandy Cohen
Associated Press

Los Angeles -- To bring the story of mobster Mickey Cohen's reign over post-war Los Angeles to life, the director of "Gangster Squad" employed Sean Penn, Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling and more than 100 irreplaceable vintage American cars.

There's the 1941 light blue Ford Deluxe Convertible that Gosling's character drives; the bulbous, bullet-nosed 1947 Ford sedans that served as police cars; the gorgeous black 1936 Oldsmobile convertible with a tan ragtop and the regal 1949 Packard Super 8 limousines that carried Cohen.

These rare beauties are stars themselves, bringing an authenticity and aesthetic charm to the screen that no computer graphics can match.

"These cars, they're as important as the buildings and clothes and makeup in establishing the time and place," said Leslie Kendall, chief curator of the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, which has three cars from "Gangster Squad" on display this month.

Picture car coordinator Tim Woods spent 12 weeks working with "Gangster Squad" director Ruben Fleischer to get the automotive look of 1949 Los Angeles just right. A few of the vintage cars came from Woods' personal collection. He called on Southern California car collectors (and a few local junkyards) for the rest.

Most of the cars in the movie were loaned by private owners, many of whom drove the vehicles during filming. "It's always good to have the owner of the vehicle to drive the car, because it's their baby," said Woods, 50.

Garvin Kotzin, 63, lent two of his cars to the film, including that rare '36 Olds (only 32 made).

The L.A. native started collecting cars at 16, when he took out loan to by a 1927 Franklin for $800 that he fixed up and drove to school. As his terrarium-manufacturing business grew, he invested in other vintage vehicles: a 1934 Packard, a cherry red-and-white 1958 Cadillac convertible with pointy fins, and his favorite, the 1936 Oldsmobile, which also appeared in "Hoover," "Changeling" and "The Aviator." Kotzin has been loaning his cars to the entertainment business for 12 years. They've played roles in photo shoots, music videos, weddings and various movies. He insist on driving the cars himself, and he spent several weeks driving his and a dozen other vehicles on the set during the filming "Gangster Squad."

Dressed alternately like chauffeur and a deliveryman, Kotzin rolled in a 1947 Cadillac limo, a 1940 Cadillac and a 1937 Chrysler. He drove a taxicab, a police car and a diaper-delivery truck. Owners of movie-star cars get paid around $300 a day, he said.

As the picture car coordinator, Woods has to do wrecks. They wrecked four classic 1949 Cadillacs in "Gangster Squad," along with eight other cars.

With rare exception, though his team buys junkyard cars that don't run, then modifies them for stunts - and destruction.

"The integrity of these cars is too much," he said, adding that none of the working, cared-for vehicles was harmed during the making of the film.

"We never ever shot a hole in a single fender," he said. "Those cars are down here in my office, and they're not even scratched or hurt. All bullet holes were CG."

That's good news for Kotzin, who draws the line at "no dancing on the hood."

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac229/rjluna2/imcdb/ajc20130114.gif

Latest Edition: 15/01/2013 @ 02:06:01
Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
Published 15/01/2013 @ 10:16:08, By antp

With rare exception, though his team buys junkyard cars that don't run, then modifies them for stunts - and destruction.

"The integrity of these cars is too much," he said, adding that none of the working, cared-for vehicles was harmed during the making of the film.

"We never ever shot a hole in a single fender," he said. "Those cars are down here in my office, and they're not even scratched or hurt. All bullet holes were CG."

That's good to know :grin:
All this could be posted directly on the movie page on the site: it is interesting info :smile: (you can create the page even if no vehicle is listed yet)
Published 15/01/2013 @ 16:52:31, By rjluna2
I will create a movie page without pictures when I have the chance :smile:
Published 17/01/2013 @ 01:31:09, By rjluna2
Add Reply - Category:  
Sign In :: Sign Up :: Lost your login or your password?
KelCommunity.be :: © 2004-2024 Akretio SPRL :: Powered by Kelare