IMCDb Forum
Naming conventions » DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Category:  
Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 16/11/2007 @ 14:48:08, By antp
Most of the cars with a "Deluxe" model name are currently listed as "De Luxe".
I remember that some time ago someone said that a space was required there.
I noticed that recently most were written DeLuxe in comments or in cars added/renamed, so I "had" to rename these each time, though that I personally prefer to write it without a space.
So what is correct? Or does it depend on the makes? If yes, a list of what to use for each make would be helpful.
Here are the current "De Luxe": http://www.imcdb.org/search.php?resultsStyle=asList&makeMatch=2&make=&modelMatch=- 0&model=de+luxe&modelInclModel=on
Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 11:56:37, By antp
I'm fed up renaming DeLuxe to De Luxe (as everybody seems to enter the new ones without space), so if nobody disagree, I suggest that we switch all existing ones to DeLuxe ?
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 12:15:40, By DIEHARD
ok
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 12:18:19, By Alexander
The English word is deluxe, the French origin is de luxe.

When written with capital letters DeLuxe or De Luxe it is used as a name, therefore it depends on the makers specification.

I guess we have to look at old brochures for each make (or even model) to be sure.
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 13:40:44, By Ddey65
I'm with Alexander on this issue.
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 14:54:00, By antp
therefore it depends on the makers specification.

That's what I'd like to know, for these Ford, Mercury, etc. of first half of the XXth century.
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 17:02:02, By Alexander
That leaves these 22 makes to check:

Buick
Chevrolet
Chrysler
De Soto
DKW
Dodge
Douglas
Ford
Henderson
Kaiser
Lincoln
Meteor
Oldsmobile
Packard
Pierce-Arrow
Plymouth
Pontiac
Rambler
SAAB
Studebaker
Terraplane
Volkswagen

---

For the solitaire DKW I can tell that it is 'Junior de Luxe'.

---

I found one brochure picture for the SAAB V4 saying 'DE LUXE':
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3650/saab196896v437997e5ahu4.th.jpg
That doesn't tell if it is 'De Luxe' or 'de Luxe', but most people use the first version.

Latest Edition: 27/11/2007 @ 17:42:23
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 17:47:53, By antp
Thanks for starting this list :wink:
I guess that "DeLuxe" will be more common on US makes

Latest Edition: 27/11/2007 @ 17:48:01
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 18:06:01, By ahight
On the Saab above, it looks like even on the back of the car it says 'De Luxe'. But if another company names their car 'DeLuxe' shouldn't it be listed how each company lists them instead of naming all of them one way? So some could be 'De Luxe' some 'DeLuxe'.

Is this only for DeLuxe...or will it carry over to cars like the Deville/DeVille/deVille/De Ville listings?
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 18:07:18, By Alexander
Two more:

Volkswagen uses 'DE LUXE' on US brochures:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3017/b36714237a63a9bms8.th.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9498/b36717237a64be1dv0.th.jpg

Interesting to note that the also write 'Micro Bus'.

For the 'Beetle' the word 'Sedan' is just a description, not part of the name -- that's at least the way I read it. :wink: Comments?

---

According to the link Jun provided the Douglas uses small letters and two words:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2460/douglas1937600ccsvdeluxxp0.th.jpg

DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 18:12:27, By Alexander
... But if another company names their car 'DeLuxe' shouldn't it be listed how each company lists them instead of naming all of them one way? So some could be 'De Luxe' some 'DeLuxe'.

That is the idea of this list.

I've finished the European makes, the US makes are all your's ... :grin:

... will it carry over to cars like the Deville/DeVille/deVille/De Ville listings?

We should try to find out how the manufacturer wrote it and then use it consistently.
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 18:25:41, By antp
For Cadillac, it seems to depend on the years.
Older ones are Sedan de Ville and Coupe de Ville.
But later they renamed the model to DeVille or Deville (not sure which one), and late models are just Deville I think (90s).
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 18:33:19, By ahight
I think on the Deville's it's changed over time. (but i'm no expert). Probably from when it changes over from Sedan deVille to just Deville.

I'm also no expert on the Beetles...but didn't that change over time too (early 70's)?

These older brochures list the VW line up as: Sedan, Fastback, Squareback, Station Wagon, Campmobile. I was looking at 69-70 full line ups. Later one's list Beetle and the Fastback as Type 3.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/type1_2.php
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 19:41:07, By DynaMike
Upto now I tended to write DeLuxe for US cars and De Luxe for European ones. Though not many European cars use it... I'll keep my eyes open to find exact info about this. Similar question: LaSalle and De Soto...
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 27/11/2007 @ 20:29:44, By antp
For the makes this was already "solved" by Alexander some time ago if I remember well: current name style was his decision after some research.
e.g. for DeLorean/De Lorean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lorean_Motor_Company#Delorean.2C_DeLorean.2C_or_D- e_Lorean.3F
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 28/11/2007 @ 01:29:01, By stronghold
more of these are:- Le Baron/LeBaron & Le Sabre/leSabre?
I also find it confusing adding model numbers. Some people for example write F-150 others F150 or F 150.! what is correct? (is there a way for it to correct itself according to make/model?)

Latest Edition: 28/11/2007 @ 01:29:37
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 28/11/2007 @ 03:49:32, By 58_Roadmaster
I agree to use actual documentation to be correct. I would like to help with this in any way, but there are a handful of members/users that are very knowledgeable on various makes. MrCadillac is one such user for obvious reasons. Dealing with the hyphen issue, on my MoPar book Standard Guide to 1950s Chrysler there is not listed a hyphen for models up to 1950-1957. For instance S16 instead of S-16. If my book is not valid, I would appreciate finding a more useful sourcebook.
I will check with the Buick Club to which I belong on the LeSabre issue. RESULT: 1959 owner's guide shows there to be a space. Will follow up on other model years.

As far as DeSoto goes, there is no space between letters on the hood (otherwise it would look wierd), but I believe there is an actual space De Soto used in company documents. I often slide by writing DeSoto, but I will consciously make an effort not to make this mistake again.

Latest Edition: 28/11/2007 @ 04:24:42
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 28/11/2007 @ 10:12:45, By antp
stronghold >>

LeBaron/Le Baron: Chrysler used both in their ad, but the version with a space is just using a half-space. LeBaron seems much more common as name, so I'd keep that.
For LeSabre it seems mixed too, but at least some have it in 1 word: http://faculty.acu.edu/~westk/ForSale/buick_18.jpg

About names with letters + numbers where the letter indicates a category (i.e. several models starting with same letters, like the F-Series), usually the rule is: if there is nothing or a space, we put a space, if there is a dash we put a dash. So the Ford F-Series has a dash but the Mercedes just have a space.

58_Roadmaster >>

For makes there is not a problem if not written correctly, the site adjusts them (DeSoto -> De Soto, VW -> Volkswagen, Olds -> Oldsmobile, Chevy -> Chevrolet, Caddy -> Cadillac, ...)
The problem is for the models (though that I could also make automatic replacements for these).

Latest Edition: 28/11/2007 @ 10:13:10
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 28/11/2007 @ 12:41:23, By Sunbar
For British cars in the 1950-60 period 'Deluxe' and 'Super' were common trim levels for Vauxhall and Rootes vehicles. I agree that, where possible, actual brochure based information should be used but I think that De Luxe or DeLuxe would be less common than Deluxe.
DeLuxe or De Luxe ?
Published 29/11/2007 @ 14:28:24, By Wampa-One
Plymouth is De Luxe (with a space), according to an old brochure.
http://www.fvn.no/amcar/brochures/mopar/49ply.html
I changed the two on the site that were spelled as one word.

Latest Edition: 29/11/2007 @ 15:50:17
Add Reply - Category:  
Sign In :: Sign Up :: Lost your login or your password?
KelCommunity.be :: © 2004-2024 Akretio SPRL :: Powered by Kelare