IMCDb Forum
Naming conventions » Stretched Cadillacs
Category:  
Reminder of the previous message
Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
Stretched Cadillacs
Published 06/06/2012 @ 16:44:10, By somename
^Thank you very much antp. And yes the Fleetwood 75 name should be excised entirely from the 1977-1984 model years.

As we're cleaning this up there are other issues. For example the long wheelbase models were occasionally used as the base for stretches; for example this one: http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_295767-Cadillac-Fleetwood-75-Custom-1977.html I suggest labeling it as Fleetwood Limousine Stretched; in the interests of consistency and streamlining the organization.

Direct link to this message Edit  Quote  Add this message as quote for multiple quotes  Delete  Top  Bottom
Stretched Cadillacs
Published 06/06/2012 @ 17:31:12, By antp
Done
Stretched Cadillacs
Published 07/06/2012 @ 02:35:18, By night cub
Indeed if you provide me precise criteria I can rename easily batch of vehicles.
Either just based on model/name/body type, or with year ranges.

For "de Ville" vs "DeVille", no idea what is correct.
The original French word used in automobile world (not only Cadillac) was "coupé de ville" which means "city coupe", they derived their model names from there I suppose ("sedan de ville" has no meaning, nor has "de ville" alone, except being city-related)

Cadillac is part of the problem when IDing the de Villes (or is it DeVilles?). If you look at the brochures from the mid-1960s, they will switch between spellings.

The best that I could make out is that until 1967, there was a space between De and Ville. A small-d was used with Coupe and Sedan, as in "Coupe de Ville". The capital-D was used when describing the series in general and for the convetible.

Starting in 1968, there was no space between De and Ville, but the same rules applied, (Coupe deVille or DeVille series). But sometimes the brochures include a space.

In 1983, the space re-appeared, but the badges look the same as 1982.
Stretched Cadillacs
Published 09/06/2012 @ 02:54:31, By somename
Okay, finally finished going through all the nameless and unknown models and here’s where we are.

All 66-76 Fleetwood Broughams should be renamed Fleetwood 60 Special Brougham; anyone who disagrees with using 1976 as the final year of the 60 Special name can be referred to this scan I made from the 1976 Cadillac Shop Manual:
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg43/scaled.php?server=43&filename=001kef.jpg&res=crop

The two Cadillac Sedan can be changed to simply Cadillac without a model name.

The Series 70 Fleetwood should just be renamed Series 70 Fleetwood

All model listed as just Fleetwood made before 1985 should be changed to Cadillac without a model name. Most of them are cases where people can’t tell the difference between V8 or V12 model.

The Series 75 Limousine models should be renamed as Fleetwood 75.

The Series 62 Coupe de Ville models should be renamed Coupe de Ville in the interests of streamlining all these various terms for the same car.

Models listed as Convertible Sedan should be changed to Cadillac without a model name.

Models listed as Coupe de Ville Pheaton should be Coupe de Ville Pheaton as the roof was just an option; same as a sunroof would have been.

All Eldorados from 1964-1974 should be Fleetwood Eldorados

All DeVilles from 1971-1993 Should be re-listed as Sedan DeVilles

All DeVille Stretched Limousines should be Sedan DeVilles Stretched Limousines until 1993

As Coupe de Ville is the grammatically correct term the Coupe DeVille should be renamed as such. As should the Coupe DeVille Stretched Limousine, Coupe DeVille Flower Car, and the Coupe DeVille Funeral Coach. My only concern is that people will keep naming it as DeVille.

Since DeVille doesn’t mean anything I guess we can keep the dozen or so models we do have that already use DeVille the same. In turn the Sedan de Ville cars should be re-listed as Sedan DeVille

For convertible DeVilles I’m open to suggestions; should the convertibles from 64-70 be listed as DeVille or DeVille Convertible?

Latest Edition: 09/06/2012 @ 04:41:50
Stretched Cadillacs
Published 09/06/2012 @ 08:24:30, By night cub
Why are you suggesting the Coupe be named "de Ville" and the Sedan as "DeVille"? There's no consistancy in that and will further confuse people. As I pointed out, it looks like Cadillac was promoting the cars until 1967 as "de Ville", and from 1968 as "deVille". The convertibles were capitalized, as they had no prefix.
Stretched Cadillacs
Published 09/06/2012 @ 17:27:23, By somename
^Because almost nobody spells it de Ville; and even less people spell it deVille. The whole point of this is to reduce the number of redundancies and superfluous naming. The brochures are written by the sales people; they'll change and shorten names to whatever makes it easier to market. If it was deVille one year; then it went back to de Ville the next, and the name should not go back and forth from one year to the next. Besides how closely did you read this thing? It calls it De Ville in the headline but DeVille in the text.

I believe DeVille should be keep in most instances; because quite frankly all the moderators already categorize it as such, and I'm sure nobody wants a bunch of alternate names and spelling of the same car to clutter up the site again.

I’m not going to argue based on grammar, spelling, or even what the brochures say; because as antp stated the term doesn’t mean anything one way or another. If people disagree and insist it should all be de Ville; then of course it should be that way. My point is that there is no right or wrong way; but it needs to be a consistent and definitive term. Not something based on the fact even the marketing people didn’t know how to spell it.

Latest Edition: 09/06/2012 @ 17:37:18
Stretched Cadillacs
Published 14/06/2012 @ 21:00:45, By G-MANN
If there never was any real official namechange from deville or de Ville to DeVille or whatever, and it just depends on what year of brochure you look at, then we should have them all spelled the same way and grouped together. I'd also prefer spelling it "DeVille" instead of "de Ville" or "deVille".
Add Reply - Category:  
Sign In :: Sign Up :: Lost your login or your password?
KelCommunity.be :: © 2004-2024 Akretio SPRL :: Powered by Kelare