IMCDb Forum
Send an answer to a topic: Mercedes-Benz
Warning, this subject is old (5842 days without answer)
Subject
Bold [b]Text[/b] Italic [i]Italic[/i] Underline [u]Underline[/u] Strike Out [strike]Strike Out[/strike]
Email [email=nobody@nobody.org]Name[/email] Link [url=http://www.website.com]Text[/url] Anchor [anchor]Name[/anchor] Image [img]http://www.website.com/image.jpg[/img]
Align Left [align=left]Text[/align] Centered [align=center]Text[/align] Align Right [align=right]Text[/align] Text Justify [align=justify]Text[/text]
Color [color=#000000]Text[/color] Highlight [highlight=pascal]Text[/highlight] Widgets Smileys :code: [:code] HTML to BBCode converter Word to BBCode converter
Preview Spell Checker

Copy Paste Cut Select All
Clear Insert Date Insert Time Insert Date and Time Insert your IP
List [list=square][item]BlaBla[/item][/list] Numbered List [list=decimal][item]BlaBla[/item][/list]
Quote [quote=name]Text[/quote] Spoiler [spoiler]James is the murderer![/spoiler]
Uppercase [uppercase]Text[/uppercase] Lowercase [lowercase]Text[/lowercase] l33t [l33t]I'm a Nerd[/l33t] Sub Script [sub]Text[/sub] Super Script [sup]Text[/sup] Size of Text [size=8]Text[/size]

Options

antp
"Classe" in French :grin:
Well I wanted to write "Class" :wink:
antp

Ideally we should change it according to different language versions of the site,

Well, as Mercedes themselve use the "classe" name in their commercial documents, that's not very logical: would you see all "Citroën 15 Légère" as "Light Fifteen"? Or only the English ones?
G-MANN
"It would be like changing 'Jaguar Mk.VII' to 'Jaguar Ausf.7'...."

Well I don't think it's like that. Did people ever say "Jaguar Ausf.7"? I don't know. But nobody in Britain or America says "Mercedes S-Klasse".

Ideally we should change it according to different language versions of the site, but it doesn't bother me too much because at least "Klasse" is fairly similar to "Class".
antp
There are three possibilities:
- follow site language
- follow car's country language
- use original's car name

As the "klasse" name was used in ads etc. and translated, it is hard to justify that the original name should be used (which is the current solution, and which does not especially annoy me even if it is not the most logical).

Alexander said
It would be like changing 'Jaguar Mk.VII' to 'Jaguar Ausf.7' in German, or 'Citroën 2CV' to 'Citroën 2PS'

But as far as I know these cars were keeping their original name in other countries, didn't they?
G-MANN
Let me just say again, despite what Alexander said it would not be incorrect to change "Klasse" to "Class" for the English version of the site (it could still stay the same for the German version, couldn't it). Mercs sold in English-speaking countries are officially named "#-Class", that's what it says in adverts and such. I don't think it would take too much time to rename the entries, I'll help out and so could some other admins.
antp
About MB experts, there was also yoda_57 (one of the original admins of the site) who works for Mercedes but he does not come anymore to the site :ohwell:
He made these pages for identification of the cars: http://www.theyoda.fr/sections.php?op=listarticles&secid=19
G-MANN
The term 'S-Klasse', short for 'Sonderklasse', was officially used for the first time with the introduction of the W116 in 1972. Before the top of the range models got the letter 'S' to indicate their upper class level. First in that row was the Mercedes-Benz 170 S [W136] from 1949. The W108/W109 model is in retrospective view being regarded as the first instance of what is today understood by the term 'S-Klasse'. Even Mercedes-Benz officials say that that is the first 'S-Klasse' without having the name.

So would it be OK for us to list the big Mercs from W116 onwards as "S-Klasse" by default (if it isn't possible to determine the exact engine size)?
G-MANN

Antoine, please don't change the word 'Klasse' according to the language used. That term is officially used by Mercedes-Benz and should stay like that. It would be like changing 'Jaguar Mk.VII' to 'Jaguar Ausf.7' in German, or 'Citroën 2CV' to 'Citroën 2PS'.

That's because Mercedes is a German company. "Klasse" is merely the German word for "Class" they mean exactly the same thing, except Klasse is pronounced "Classer". Nobody in the English-speaking world says "Mercedes S-Klasse", they say "Mercedes S-Class", that's how it appears in the English language advertisements and brochures that Mercedes produces.

But if it's too much bother to change this for the English version of the site, than I guess we can live with that.
antp

Antoine, please don't change the word 'Klasse' according to the language used. That term is officially used by Mercedes-Benz and should stay like that.

But they use it only in Germany and Netherlands... (and half of Belgium :grin: )
Logically we should use the name used in the country from where the car is.
Anyway, it is not a problem for me to keep the current system :wink:

In the same way, the BMW should be named 3er, 5er, etc. Or "3-series" in US/UK, "série 3" in France, etc.
Category:  

Ada
CSS
Cobol
CPP
HTML
Fortran
Java
JavaScript
Pascal
Perl
PHP
Python
SQL
VB
XML
Anon URL
DailyMotion
eBay
Flickr
FLV
Google Video
Metacafe
MP3
SeeqPod
Veoh
Yahoo Video
YouTube
6px
8px
10px
12px
14px
16px
18px
Sign In :: Sign Up :: Lost your login or your password?
KelCommunity.be :: © 2004-2024 Akretio SPRL :: Powered by Kelare